If you’re new to plant-based eating or are looking for a little inspiration for your next meal – I got you with a Plant-Based Meal Guide on how to build a yummy and nutritious plant-based meal:
1. Choose Your Fillers
These foods are higher in calorie and can be considered the foods that get you feeling full.
You can do a large portion of 1, or mix it up however you’re feeling.
- Rice: jasmine, basmati, brown, or white
- Beans: so much variety here!
- Potato: sweet, regular, and so on (in Peru you have over 4,000 kinds to choose from. They come in every shape and color, including blue, yellow, red, pink, and purple!)
- Tofu: this typically comes packaged, so make sure to read the label to minimize the ingredients. I always go for the option with the most whole ingredients, with the least amount of additives.
- Pasta: same thing here, keep the ingredients clean – better yet, make your own pasta at home (date night idea?!)
- Quinoa: red, black, or white
- Couscous: sooooo good and so underrated. Make sure it’s just whole wheat flour, no other ingredients!
2. Choose Your Veggies
3. Add in Herbs
- Sweet basil
- Green onion
4. Add in Basic Spices
- Black pepper
- Sea salt / pink salt
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
5. Add Your Greens – ALWAYS.
You’ll barely taste them with all of the other flavor going on, and they will add so much goodness to your dish. People who started adding greens to their diet noticed a difference in energy levels almost immediately!
- Beet greens
- Swiss chard
- Left lettuce
6. Extra Yummy Add-ins